Submitted by Jim K on Wed, 2006-07-26 19:46

In 1998, just as Dr. Stratton was dismantling his research lab, a client of mine told me about him.  I simply didn't have the strength to even consider it, but she had been on the protocol for almost a year, and was feeling great. I had known her for a few years and I knew that she had terrible brain fog, lack of strength, was completely lacking in energy and unable to function in daily life. This began for her about 10 years earlier in college.   Her Dad is a doctor, and so he had sent her from doctor to doctor of every type imaginable, all his friends and she wasn't getting any help to speak of.  She looked and sounded like a new person when she called and told me about Dr. Stratton’s research with Chlamydia pneumoniae... and she arranged it all for me and got Dr. Stratton to agree to test my blood....I went to my doctor and got the blood draw and had it Fed-ex'd to Dr. Stratton’s lab...three weeks later, I got my results: PCR of Chlamydia Pneumoniae  - positive in blood antibody titers IGM 1:400IGG     1:3200 His protocol has changed and gone thru several permutations since the one I was prescribed, but it worked for me!! Below is what I have written about it over the years - I am not sure that the things I state as "fact" are really fact, but it is my interpretation of what I was told: The organism is Chlamydia pneumoniae, not to be confused with the sexually transmitted is a bacterium that acts as a retro is estimated that most (if not all) of the population has contracted this bug by the time they reach 80 - some at 6 mos. some when they are older.  For the most part, it does little or nothing to a person...kind of like the herpes virus present on all of our skin, but only giving a cold sore to people whose immune system allows it in.....Dr. Stratton's research included I think about 2500 people with CFS - about half of all the people he tested for CFS had the CP DNA in their blood, cells and organs from what I understand....they had to do a titers test...unfortunately, his research lab closed down due to his research funding on this drying up.  I was one of the last ones, in fall of '98 to be able to send my blood to him to be tested.  I believe that after his lab closed down, there were a couple of other labs in the country that did a PARTIAL test for this, but the test they do did not show the whole showed if the organism is in your blood, but not if it's still active and replicating in your organs at a lower amount.  Now, in 2006, I think there are labs that do the complete blood work which Dr. Stratton did at his lab. I had two MD's in Chicago who conferred with Dr. Stratton to be able to prescribe his protocol to me rather than me having to travel down to Tennessee to see him at his office.  The girl who told me about Dr. Stratton, a former client of mine, whose father is a doctor and sent her from place to place for a cure for her CFS (for many years)  now lives in Boston and has been prescribed her protocol by the head of infectious disease at Boston University Hospital...she told me I would be welcome to travel there and get the prescriptions for a year at a time if I couldn't find a doc here in Chicago to do it for me.  I believe she knows of a couple of other doctors in the country who have prescribed this protocol. Everyone that my friend knows who has done the protocol has been cured of the chronic fatigue and all of its symptoms.   I know another holistic MD here in Chicago who was also open to conferring with D. Stratton -  Stratton gladly e-mailed any doctor who wanted to prescribe it for their patient - although it might not be easy to reach him anymore. In any event, my client/friend got a doctor here in Chicago to agree to prescribing the protocol for me - she had originally gotten it from  this same doctor, Dr. K, and his wife and daughter were also about to begin the protocol. After I was on the protocol for about a year, Dr. K said his wife and daughter were no longer taking the antibiotics because they could not tolerate them - he began to question the wisdom of antibiotic treatment (and preferred natural means)  -  and so he wanted me off the protocol for a while and to cycle the antibiotics, on six weeks and then off six or twelve weeks. When I talked to Dr. Stratton about this, he said that the meds should not be cycled on and off, because the organism had to be continually bombarded with meds until it was eradicated, otherwise it could gain a foothold and be more difficult to get rid of. So - just as I was about to travel down to see Dr. Stratton at his office and have the protocol prescribed to me by him, my current doctor offered to prescribe it for me. Dr. Stratton said that from cases he has seen, I may have been born with cp and another doctor told me it sits in the ovaries...     The protocol is a "cocktail" of several antibiotics - over the years he has tweaked the meds to see what would be more effective - he also has alternates for anyone who is allergic to specific antibiotics.  The various meds are meant to combat the different stages of growth of the bacteria.  Often, he has found that people with the CP organism feel better while they are on antibiotics...that is only anecdotal, though.  It was VERY true of me, to the point that I had discovered if I could just get some antibiotics from my doctor (difficult with a constantly low temp) I could get a little energy while on them..     Dr. Stratton explained to me that the chronic fatigue was first, some bad days or weeks followed by good days weeks or months, where the person sometimes even thinks they are over whatever had been making them sick...but as time goes on, the good weeks happen less often, and become only a few good days here and there, while the bad days turn into bad months and years.   When a person has C. pneumoniae replicating in them and taking over all of their cells (by scooping out your mitochondria and setting up little reproductive factories in them and  your organs), Dr. Stratton said that eventually it leads to death. He told me that at my numbers, he was very surprised I was functioning at all.  Dr. Stratton also told me that he was quite certain that once I was cured of the cp, my allergies and sensitivities would disappear - including an allergy to sulfa drugs I had and an allergic reaction to metronidazole I had experienced.  I am no longer allergic or sensitive to anything.        The ideal is if you have a doc who you already know who is willing to treat you according to Dr. Stratton's protocol.  My friend was not on thyroid or any hormone and has had a remarkable recovery.  I am hypothyroid,  had weak adrenals and multiple allergies and sensitivities - my hypothyroid has stayed but I am fine as long as I take the thyroid hormone - all of my other problems, allergies, symptoms, etc have friend has had to stop the protocol three times to become pregnant and give birth, but got remarkably better on it - now I believe she is dealing with it a different way, strengthening the adrenals and also watching her children for the illness. (I could find out more about what she is doing for it now) - Dr. Stratton seemed to be helping and curing people with MS and  he has found cp implicated in lupus. Other research has found that when a person has a heart attack, CP could be released into the bloodstream and cause another one within 2 months later...they counteract this by giving Zithromax for 5 days after the heart attack..... So - here's what I took: 500 mg. Amoxicillin   2xdaily500 mg. Probenecid  2xdaily300 mg. INH - Isoniazid      once daily250 mg. Zithromax  Mon-Wed -Fri(I took 500 mg   3x weekly for the first 4 years)  I began with the 500 mgs Zithromax  three times a week and added another drug every month. I never saw a copy of the protocol until I had been taking the meds for over 3 years, at which time I realized that Dr. Stratton had recommended introducing the various drugs slowly, First once a week, then gradually upping the dose on each med until you were finally on the full protocol.  he also recommended taking the amoxicillin first, which I didn't do...I trusted that since Dr. K's wife and daughter were on the protocol, he knew how to prescribe it!! When my Dr. Bain took over prescribing, he just continued to prescribe the protocol I had been on...he trusted I knew what I needed to do with the meds.  In any event, I tolerated the drugs well and got continually better.  The first thing to improve, was the chronic cough I had developed... within two months of beginning the Zithromax and then the amoxicillin, the cough was GONE! Dr. Stratton wanted us on a no red meat diet, with a lot of simple carbs, as I remember it, but I didn't find that worked well for me. I had been doing my best on a high protein diet for low blood sugar since the 70's.  He wanted us to take 500mg L-glutamine, which I took for two or three  years and then stopped, and felt no difference with or without it - basically, though - Dr. Stratton wanted us on the glutamine to feed our cells while the organism was dying..B12 shots 3x weekly - to help with the die off pains...this organism releases a toxin into the body when it dies - Dr. Stratton has since found the sublingual B12 works just as well...but since the die off happens mostly at night while you're laying down, you need to have that by your bed (5000mcg sublingually twice a day) is HORRIBLE, EXTREME pains in the arms and leg muscles - or any place you have a weak spot - mine was ankles and neck...he also recommends activated charcoal, 4 grams 3x daily  - two hours before or after meds, so that it doesn't interrupt keeps the toxins released into your system from being reabsorbed thru the gut and gets it out of the friend won't take this...I did for some years,. because it does cut down very much on the horrible die off pain. And yet the pain is bearable, because you know the little bugger is dying! I took both the sublingual B12 and also the shots, because they gave me fantastic energy.  Later in the protocol (about 2 years into it) Dr. Stratton also suggested I  take metronidazole (Flagyl), but my face and eyes swelled up from it, in a classic allergic drug reaction - so he told me not to chance it... I gave myself the  B12shots intramuscularly usually a couple of times a week and they helped me enormously.  I have never had leaky gut, or a problem with yeast, so it is possible this is why the Flagy never helped me...some of the girls on the Flagyl said it gave them energy and helped them a great deal. When I spoke with Dr. Stratton I told him I had times when I got very bad diarrhea from the Zithromax and I asked about using something like Imodium to relieve it. He said that it was a good idea to take 3 Pepto Bismal tablets (I got the generic brands) after each meal whenever I felt my digestive system wasn't going to deal with the food well or when I had diarrhea.  Since antacids are not good to take within a couple of hours of some of the meds, the Pepto Bismal was very helpful, although I didn't have to take it too often..  But now, I see that if a person is taking doxycycline, anything containing bismuth is also contra-indicated.  In any event if you need these things, you can separate them from the meds by at least two hours. Dr. Stratton recommended that I switch to Rifampin instead of the INH - Isoniazid (he was having better results with Rifampin) - also a drug for TB and other bacilli - but it is stronger and I was frankly afraid - so I stayed on INH and was satisfied that it was doing the job.  I know all of those with MS were on Rifampin and took carnitine.  He wants you to drink 6 quarts of water daily - let's say I did what I could in this regard!  Some days, I come pretty close!  I have had NO bad reactions to the long term antibiotics, but he would answer your e-mails if you were having a problem and always seemed to have some kind of suggestion or solution.  The Zithromax can cause some pretty awful diarrhea at first - first month or so. It is advisable to take a probiotic daily to keep your intestines healthy, but I rarely did - I can only think I had so much of this bacteria in me to kill, the antibiotics did nothing but good for me. I have never had candida or yeast overgrowth but most he has treated have had this. It is possible that the charcoal helped my intestines deal with the toxins also. You will find that the periods of time when you feel well get longer and the exacerbations get shorter and further between....I went from what I would call 2% total energy and no days where I could lift my head for more than one hour daily, to probably 95% or more energy now - I have a life!  The first year on the protocol, I found my good days with a little energy happening more often and my really bad day were slightly better...each year I got more and more weeks and months where I felt pretty good, but still energy only until about noon - maybe a nap and then a couple more hours of staying awake and functional. My fibromyalgia was the last thing to leave me, although it was no longer with me every single day and only got bad when I was tired or had done something strenuous.  Probably the fourth year on the protocol my fibro was gone and only appeared about once every three months when I had done something extraordinarily active.  I stopped taking the meds in Feb, 2004... Last year, in 2005, I had a couple of colds, but my immune system is quite strong now. The colds were not as severe as the others in my family had them either and I was not "laid up" with them. When I get sick now, it isn't like before, when it would put me in bed for a week unable to function at all.   I can wake up at 7 AM and have a full day, no naps, and get into bed by 10 or 11:00 PM without an ache, pain of any kind, sore throat or sore glands.  I feel fantastic.  My muscles have strength again. I can do strenuous things and walk for miles without a problem.   Good luck to everyone interested!  Back in the time of his research lab, Dr. Stratton said that  you have a 50% chance that Cpn, is your problem if you have CFS. If the organism is found in your blood, the protocol will almost certainly get rid of it for you. So the test would be the starting point for you.  I was tested for leaky gut syndrome and did not have it, but my doc told me that most people who have the cp also have that (which obviously complicate the ability to tolerate the meds and the problem of the dying toxins recirculating into your blood)....he attributed me having  a healthy gut to all the antioxidants I have taken for so many years (over 30 years).    Some have been rid of the organism in 18 months...he said 3 or more years was common, but I had been told that I had the highest amount of titers his lab had seen, so I guess it took longer...I was tested for liver function during the 3rd, 6th, and 9th months after I began the INH - my doc, being very intuitive, didn't test me more than twice to see if I still had the organism in me, but  just worked with me on this and prescribed more when we felt I still I needed it.  I began the protocol on Dec 1, 1998 and  in Jan, 2004 my doctor and I felt the organism was gone. I was not tested a lot along the way...I am afraid we depended on Woo-Woo science (our intuition) to help me thru any obstacles I came to along the way and to finally ascertain if I was cured.   From time to time, when I was feeling well, we would try muscle testing and ask my arm if I was rid of the cp yet.  finally, In January of '04 my body replied "yes- it is GONE!!" My energy was fibromyalgia is gone, my immune system is strong and all of my allergies and sensitivities are gone , except the tree pollen allergy I have had since I was a child (and even that isn't very severe any more)  Dr. Stratton  is a wonderful and very humanitarian man...but very busy - he was available by phone years ago, and the best way to reach him was by e-mail and I have recently heard that nobody has been able to contact him.   I stopped taking the protocol in February 2004...and am rid of the Cpn   I feel great!  More labs across the country are testing for this, as well as the arthritis foundation, which also tests for mycoplasma infections.     I know the arthritis foundation confers with people and suggests a much lesser anitibiotic regimen for cp.   Dr. Coker-Vann is always available to talk with your doctor about the tests, the results and the suggested treatment for the stealth infections.  My son was tested here for the mycoplasma infections. cp and  ASO (strep)...often more than one infection is present.  I got rid of my mycoplasma infection and my resulting rheumatoid arthritis by taking 100mg minocin  daily for a year, back in 1993.   But obviously Minocin for a year did not put a dent in my Cpn infection. I wonder if it works? and if it gets rid of the organism for good? I have had many doctors tell me that this protocol I was on is overkill - much more than needed... but I am not sure I could have gotten rid of the cp any other way. Diana


Thanks for the info!  Nice to read a happy ending!

Hubby DX 10-05 by LLMD; positive for Borreliosis; took 200-400 mg Doxy for 2 mons; followed by zith daily for 6 wks; small does of flagyl daily for 3 mons; tested by ID for Cpn 6-06;  Tested positive and took Ketek for 6 weeks; Began Cap protocol

Thanks for your story -- I hope my doctor will work with me on what seems like a very detailed and demanding protocol.  Sigh.

63 year old woman feels like 80!  CFS since 1998.  Severe fatigue and awful reverse sleep main symptoms.  No Fibro.  Tested positive for CPN 3/07.  Severe reaction to azithro (begun slowly in 5/07) - stopped. 

63 year old woman who feels like 100!  CFS since 1998.  Main problem -- severe fatigue with "going into shock" feeling very often.  Tested positive for CPN 3/07.  Severe reaction to azithro (begun slowly in 5/07) - had to stop.  No abx yet --

63 year old woman feels like 80!  CFS since 1998.  Severe fatigue and awful reverse sleep main symptoms.  No Fibro.  Tested positive for CPN 3/07.  Severe reaction to azithro (begun slowly in 5/07) - stopped. 

Reread this wonderful account.  Well told!  Absorbed more details.  Diana you are a gutsy lady --  thanks for sharing.  Gives me hope for myself.   Would love an update.63 year old woman who feels like 100!  CFS since 1998.  Main problem -- severe fatigue with "going into shock" feeling very often.  Tested positive for CPN 3/07.  Severe reaction to azithro (begun slowly in 5/07) - had to stop.  No abx yet --

63 year old woman feels like 80!  CFS since 1998.  Severe fatigue and awful reverse sleep main symptoms.  No Fibro.  Tested positive for CPN 3/07.  Severe reaction to azithro (begun slowly in 5/07) - stopped. 

A very interesting read, thank you. So very happy you are WELL!Does anyone know of any doctors using CAP's treatment for CFS  or MS in Perth, Western Australia?

CFS since 2009. Doxy 100mg twice a day, Roxi 150 mg twice a day, tini for pulsing and the full complement of recommended supps.

Thanks so much for your story. So happy you kicked it! I am new on this and was confused by the DNA blood test I had that diagnosed this ( $350.00 too! ), as like you said in your story, there were no titers taken and so no way to know how deeply I am infected. If you have any information as far as where to get proper blood work done, I would really appreciate it. Perhaps I will just do a blog post and see if others do as well.

Diana, I see you  didn't take any NAC. I am borderline for Cpn and am trying to decide the antibiotic route. I can't take the NAC as allergic to sulphur and that is what i was prescribed along with Doxcy ,Zithromac and Flagyl. It looks like you were not prescribed this.This did work for you,right?Diane


Hi Everyone!!  this is me, Astrodiana.I am sick with Cpn once more...a few symptoms re-emerged in 2009 and when I was tested, I could see my titers were still low but climbing.  I have spent the last few years dealing with the health problems of my brother-in-law until his death,and then my older sister, who died last Sept.  I was at her home for the last two years taking care of her and generally neglecting my own health. I tried taking at least NAC (Dr. Stratton had instucted me to take NAC 1200 mg BID for the rest of my life and I didn't..when we feel so good - or even when we get busy helping others before ourselves - it's hard to make ourselves do things).  this would have kept the elementary bodies from taking hold once again.Two months ago, I began the Azith and amoxiciliin as well as mincocycline (doxy affects me very harshly right now, so I figure something for the mycoplasma is better than notnhing) and of course the huge amounts of charcoal to deal with the die-off.  I feel awful and hate to waste my summer with feeling like this, but have not had a summer at home for years now.  I toy with the idea of getting back off the abx but know I should not. Next I will be asking my Dr. for something to take instead of the flagyl since I am severely allergic to it. I took no antifungal the last time after I had the allerigc attack the first time I tried it..Dr. S said to steer clear of the metro.  I am kind of afrraid to try anthyer antifungal because I worry I will also be allergic to that one..but we will go slow and begin with a tiny amount. I also took INH last some point when I feel I stabilize, I will add Rifampin this time.In the past I was able to get a stimulant - amphetamine salts to take and it helped so much with my mental focus and allowed me to have a few waking hours during the day to make myself walk and get a little exercise.  My doctor will not Rx it, but I think I will go to a psyche doc if I can muster the energy and get screened for adult ADD...all I need is a small would make such a difference! My doc says once I get a diangnosis and a script he will prescribe it for me.I know it has been years since I have been on here..but to the lady Denise - if you are still on the site - you mentioned having a severe reaction to the Azith. I would say that unless it is a bonofied allergy, take one a week or even one every other week.l take it on an empty stomach or before bed...your tolerance for it will build over you said go very slowly. Azith was the first thing I was put on..500 mg thrice weekly. I thought I was going to die the first few times I took it but persevered.  Now it just makes me sleep hard and very well..that means endotoxins are my friends...I feel weak and sick as a dog and not able to do much. But I am going to stay the course and get well again.  have found that I am positve for the M-T-H-F-R mutation and also extremely senstive to gluten as a cherry on top!! I am going to be on this site  more, I think.  Good luck to us all! The way I see it, there is no choice but to do what has worked for me gave me about 6 of the best most energetic and metnally happy years of my entire life.  The protocol gave me my life back and I am confident it will happen for me again.Diana

Hello Diana, I'm sorry to hear that you are sick again, but maybe with fewer worries now, you will be able to get better once more.It is a shame that you are allergic to flagyl (metronidazole) but even if yu can't take that, you might be able to take tinidazole, which is what I changed to.  You are now able to be prescribed that in the US.  If you can't take that either, then a good way now used by Stratton is to just take the two bactereistatics and roxithromycin, which does tend to be bactericidal as well.  You will have to talk to Stratton about that.You don't say what antifungals you were taking and were also allergic to, but I have never taken an antifungal: just lots of probiotics, which worked fine.  I finished the protocol in 2007 and have had no reoccurence of symptoms since then.Good luck this time......................Sarah

Completed Stratton/Wheldon regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years, three of which intermittent.   Still improving bit by bit and no relapses since finishing treatment.

Hi Sara!  I thought that flagyl was an antifungal, no?  In any event that is the one I had the full blown allergic reaction to..and I only took 1/8 of the tablet the first time I tried it..within twenty minutes I swelled up in my face, eyes swelled shut, lips and tongue swelled, trouble breating and a terrible itchy rash went from my legs to all over my body within the first hour. I figured this see3med like an allergic reaction and so took some subsided somewhat but the swelling of the face and shut eyes lasted about 12 hour. Dr. S said that, considering this violent reaction I should forget about the flagyl. I never figured out why I got thru the protocl with awhat seemed like perfect health and minisule titers and never took flagyl.I am a little unhappy to be expriencing big time die off and hexing right now since I have not enjoyed a summer in ages but I do know this will pass. My husband also has cpn and we stopped treating him because he is on so very many supplements, I was living away from him for two years, and my son and he had all they could do just to keep things going around here, plus  he had b/p spikes which I wrote to Dr. Wheldon about and were most likely die off type of events but the cardiolgist would not believe it and tried treating him aggressively with some of the new blood pressure drugs which really did not agree with my husband. He will be retiring at the end of the year and then I will be able to stand over him and coordinate his many meds, supplements and pills and stand over him while he takes them  : ) by the time he retires at the end of the year I hope to have enough presence of mind to help him begin the protocl again. He is so tired..I hate to see him this way and I wish he would just bite the bullet and retire NOW! His cardioloogist is holstic and so we have gotten him off of nearly everything except a very mild b/p med with diuretic. He will be chelation again for heavy metals this months.I will keep the tini in doctor is pretty good at helping me with whatever I decide I need and he did talk with Dr. S years ago to corordinate my protocol.  I live near Chicago ILDiana

Hi Diana, 

I am looking to connect with someone from the Chicago area where I live. I have ME/CFS and have used antivirals. I also have positive C. Pneumo titres. Not sure if I’m ready to do CAP but may do the infection-opposing nutrients (NAC, Taurine, TMG, etc). 
if you are open, I would love to connect with you and also hear about CPN protocol friendly doctors in the Chicago area! 


Babyblue, there are people from Chicago here obviously, but I haven't seen Astrodiana for more than two years: people do come and go!

Why are you not yet ready to do CAP?  If you do it you might be better by this time next year!


Completed Stratton/Wheldon regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years, three of which intermittent.   Still improving bit by bit and no relapses since finishing treatment.

Denise, I'm in Chicago. While my doctor is no longer prescribing the antibiotic protocol, we could start a new thread asking for input from others in the area, if you'd like.

The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems. Mohandas Gandhi

I think so, but try Jen's list f natural antifungals: it is excellent!As for your husband, David had very high blood pressure but sorted it all out with this protocol, so tie your husband down as soon as you can because he might then not have to take any bp meds! Take a look at David's patient story post: it is remarkable ........................Sarah

Completed Stratton/Wheldon regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years, three of which intermittent.   Still improving bit by bit and no relapses since finishing treatment.

YES, SARAH - I remember that Dr. Wheldon and also Rica's husband I think got the very high b/p spikes on the protocol at first.  My husbands went way back down when he stopped the abx.  Until he retires there is just too much in the way of taking meds, etc for the hours in a day when he is home and I can remind him and put them meds in front of him at the appointed times.  I often wonder if giving him the Azith on M-W_F would do any good until he can get on the rest in 6 months?  His cardiologist gave him a detoxifier which has lots of NAC in it and he can't tolerate it right now. For George (husband)  to start this protocol and be working 12 hours a day is just impossible I think. He can't afford to feel any worse than he does.  But I do wonder about the Azith, which he takes well. He also handles flagyl very well. I am on the amox which affects me less adversely than NAC...I hope that befofe long I can switch to NAC without the reaction.

Nystatin works well for gives me energy..but you do need to be on it for a long time and not eat any sugar. I havent eaten sugar more than once or twice a year for many years..I hava reactive hypoglycemia since i was in my twenties and eating sugar causes me to have a terrible insulin I have luckily related eating sugar with pain and I avoid it. I seem to get the yeast overgrowth when I take any tertracycline antibiotic. Both my sons take nystatin and it has helped them so much.  But again it is not a quick fix and you can work your way up to 2 three times a day..yes. more pills. My doctor also takes it but he takes the powder.  I feel fortunate that my doctor has so many similar health  issues to what my family and I have that he truly understands how rough this stuff can be. Activities that are normal for many people are absooutely off the table for us. its especially hard for young people and people whp have to work 40 or more hours a week. My sons are both in their 40's but have never been well since they were teenagers.

Jen - thank you!  that's a good list - very imformative...I already take the Bragg's apple cider vinegar in water before competely rid of my heartburn and reflux which I had for 1.5 years before remembering what ACV can do..I also take turmeric and had coconut oil capsule but never used them.  I guess we could pop this stuff all day long and never come up for its important to deaql with the worst issues first I guess.

Maybe keeping your iron levels low will guard against regrowth of cpn? This is true for treating some other infections: (found in raw milk and supplements) can also be useful in binding free iron.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Doing Thibault protocol (NAC/mino/roxi/tini/nattokinase)...but considering morphing to Stratton protocol

Hi Everyone - it's me - Astrodiana. Well, I have a little news about myself.  I had a stroke on Nov, 30th..about 1/2 hours into it, my husband came home and got me to the ER. I walked in....knowing something was not right but then they got busy on me. They used the super clot buster (TPA) and then took me to surgery with an amazing head of neurosurgery, probably about 2-3 hours after the initial symptoms.  They went in thru my femoral artery and up to my brain - the got the clot, which was blocking a pretty significant artery. After the surgery ( during which I was awake and congnizant all thru)  I could not speak, but I could understand and could form the words in my mind - just couldn't make my mouth say them!  They assessed me for the next two days after the surgery in the ICU and determined that I had no weakness or any permananet damage from the stroke on my right side.  The neurologist told me at that time that I  would get my speech back completely. I was discharged after a week in the hospital right into one of the best rehab facilities in the area, but I left the next morning becAuse they would not allow me to take a shower or to get one. This was unconscionable to me! After all, all I need is speech therapy and even without it, it will come back compeltely (as it began to the second  day in the hospital)Funny - I feel this exact thing happened before to me one other time, about 5 years ago, and I regained my speech and ability to walk after a fews hours and chalked it up to my cPn. I was down with that about 3 hours that time..took a couple of aspiriin and went to sleep for the night. Even as this was all happening I knew I would be fine....but I am glad we went to the ER!I regret not being able to verbalize to my husband that I knew I would come out of this unscathed! I know he prayed a lot while I was in surgery. Does anyone else have instances like these whioch have happnhed to them??Ever since my hosptial stay and on then the trip to our holisitc and board certified cardilogist everyone remarked on how healthy I was - no diabetes, no meds of any kind, no high b/p, cholesterol and A1C numbers a "dream"..for a 66 year old woman apparently everyone was stunned at my good health.  I told them about my severe limit of movement and lack of energy as the day wears on is all due to my CFS and Stealth infections (and even that I don't talk much as the day werars on, generally - so I thought this was just another episode of my CPN late in the day)..luckily, my doctor arrived at the hospital the day after the stroke and he pled my case for me..they were STILL trying to put me on every drug in the book (people who know me know my disdain at being forced to take drugs I do not need!)  My doctor was there for me - he traveled to see me in my hospital!!  All the while I was hooked up to every machine, plus a heart monitor and had blood taken every hour, but they could not identify the cause of the stroke.I have been hooked up to a heart monitor at home 24/7 and I understand they have idenitified at least three instances of Afib..very likely more, but the cardioligist could not get the readings until the neurologist gives them to us...meanwhile I have been put on Eliquis 5mg BIDWhich brings me to my question!! I have been told I can resume the azith (M_W_F) and amox, BID..but my Dr. is a little unsure of how the charcoal (4 grams, BID) is going to affect the absorption of the blood thinner?  yet, without it, I can hardly stand all the herxing symptoms and the joint and fibro pain...Dr. Statton and I spoke about it one time among other things and he felt it was important to keep the charcoal the obvious symptomn relief advantage of having that onboard.  My question is _ if I reduce the charcoal to 4 grams once a day - and space it somewhere between my AM dose of Eliquil about 7 AM and the PM dose, about 6-7 PM - Can I be reasonably certain it willl not interfere with the Eliquil?  Meanwhile I am considering hyperbaric oxygbne with an intense b-vitamin and magnesium infustion to where it gets to a dose that it crosses the blood brain barrier to reverse the stroke - and then right into the hyperbaric oxygen at 100% oxygen for an hour..the cardioligist has done this many times and all patients get a great amount of help from it, the those with less damage to the cells, get more help..also - if anyone has heard of the MME magnetic molecular energizer which accelerates electrons and stimulates stem cells...this is used more often to awaken sleeping cells in the heart but also in the brain after the cells have shut down but did not die during a stroke or heart attack.  With this, you lie on a magnetic bed for 100 or more hours eight hours a night. This willl be more diffcult for me to do, unless I go there for a couple of weeks at a time, it will be diffcult to access. theoretically my doctor can do the hyperbaric, but I would rather have my cardioliogist there for the frist few since he  has done the magnesium treatment so many times before.I hope everyone can excuse my poor language and spelling because my spelling has not come back as quickly as my speech!  I will proofread, but it is 4:30 PM so this is the time my brain usually shuts down for the night!Diana

Diana, I am so sorry to hear this an not to have noticed it before!I'm amazed that the doctor should have been so amazed at how healthy you are at 66: when I get to that age I also hope to be on as healthy as I am now.  Age does not have to mean high blood pressure, diabetes and so on.  Maybe your cpn treatment has helped you here.To answer your question, people taking abx take charcoal well away from them so this should surely apply to your eliquil as well.  However, an alternative is to change from charcoal to chlorella, which you can take at any time.I hope you make a speedy recovery and your cardiologist's idea sounds like a good one.....................Sarah

Completed Stratton/Wheldon regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years, three of which intermittent.   Still improving bit by bit and no relapses since finishing treatment.