Submitted by Daisy on Mon, 2008-10-13 15:46

First the Sweet - My husband's latest MRI looked the best it has yet.  Clear signs of large lesions healing, disappearance of smaller lesions, no signs of edema, etc...  I will try again some time to post the images so that folks can see them for themselves.  All of the recent MRI's have been done on the same GE MRI machine by same tech and read by same neuroradiologist.  The other part of the Sweet has been how much functional return my husband has experienced since starting his particular version of CAP.  Walking from abysmal to nearly normal.  Balance from abysmal to now normal.  Bladder/bowel control from abysmal to now mostly normal.  Speech from 10 words now to 25% normal speech function - 30% on a good day.  Memory from not knowing his name or mine to normal memory.  No awareness of being in world to mostly understands what is going on around him.  Sleeping 22 to 23 hours per day to sleeping a normal 8 hours.  Severe sound sensitivity to now able to listen to music, radio, tv/surround sound, movie theatre.  The list of improvements over the past year has been down right astounding.Now the Bitter - At the end of August on a routine lab screen done by my husband's antibiotic doctor a problem was detected.   A harrowing 3 weeks in the hospital and a new diagnosis - Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML) Secondary to Novantrone.  Yup the drug they used last year before I found an antibiotic doctor and got my husband on CAP has given him cancer.The prognosis for AML is abysmal.  After being home from the hospital for a couple of weeks my husband went back in to the hospital today to undergo very aggressive induction chemotherapy for the AML (a milder form of chemo had first been tried unsuccessfully).   The choice they gave us this AM was the aggressive chemo or fairly certain death in a few weeks.  My husband chose to go for it and continue to fight.  He was given a 25% chance of the chemo working and knocking him into remission, a 25% chance of the chemo killing him this week and a 50% chance it would just stunt the cancer.Bitter - it's such an interesting word.  It's hard for me not to feel bitter at the medical community right now - betrayed is perhaps a better description.  It's hard to avoid feeling bitter at all that we have endured the past two years, the fight we have made and the progress that has ensued only to end up here.Guess there is nothing else to say. 

Your support of your husband is a role model to all of us of what a "good wife" means. Please know that you have the thoughts and prayers of all of us to give you the strength, purpose and understanding through this next hurdle. God bless you and your husband.

CPN, EBV, HHV-6, CMV - Biaxin 500mg/Doxy 100mg twice a day, NAC 600 mg, Acyclovir, all supplements, natural hormones and BP meds.