My poor body is protesting again. Basically, I have been ill since November 3rd with a severe bout of bronchitis, almost as bad as when I first became ill in Nov. of 2006.
Doc told me to double up on my azith and take it daily -- which I did. I also became SEVERELY constipated being in bed most of the month. Was starting to have "spells", nausea other wiggy symtpoms, so I took milk of magnesia... I got relief but it also threw my colon into spasms. Luckily I had some hycosomine from a previous "spastic bladder" after a bladder scope. The drug helped the spasms which I am contining to have 2 weeks later. I continue to have nagging pain in left descending colon area and splenic flexure area.
To make a long story short.... I ended up the ER because my husband thought I was going to die, pounding heart, inability to move... several other symptoms. Of course, in the ER... all blood tests were normal (they didn't test my thyroid levels, or histamine), chest x-ray and ekg fine. After being lectured on the "dangers" of being on long-term ABX, as well as being on Cortef (even though I reminded them I was on a physiological dose) I decided to just go home. Then it hit me -- porphyria! Must have crept up on me from doubling up on the ABX. I started dosing with charcoal and smarties. Seemed to help.
I had a normally scheduled dr.'s appt. the next day.... since there was blood in the mucas of my stool he told me if the pain in my colon did not go away to take 500 mg of Amox-Clav, TID. Okay, so the pain is still there... I'm concerned about getting a more serious infection in my colon. Am not able to eat much, other than soft foods and broth (hmm, great for losing weight!). We also discussed my porphyria symptoms and I gave him a print out. He understands about chole, but for me thought "I" should not take it because of my constipation issues (remember I also ended up in the ER back in March w/ a similar problem)
BUT, after reading a bit here on the site (particularly one of Jim's posts from 2005) I am afraid to take the Amox. I guess it's a decision between two evils... risk colon infection or severe inflamation from CPN die off? I take 1200 mg of NAC per day and have been for over a year. I also find this interesting because I had to stop my last 2 pulses after 3 days because of severe pain in my colon area.
If I take the Amox-Clav, should I stop the doxy and azith for the 10 days I am suppose to take the Amox? I would hope I have been on the procotol long enough that the Amox may not have a severe affect?
I really am not sure what to do, I have been so sick the past month and a half and am afraid if I don't take the Amox I'll get infection and if I do take it I 'll be bed bound again......