As my husband is currently unable to work, we decided to follow the adage found on this web site from I believe a quote from Dr. Stratton to "Go As Fast As You Can" and I will add to that "as Safely as you can".It's been a month since I updated my husband's treatment blog. A lot has happened and yet it seems as if nothing has really happened.First, we decided not to undergo another crainiotomy - read - fishing expedition - to attempt to determine the cause of my husband's demyelinization since the ID and neurosurgeon did not exactly inspire confidence in us with their plan to test the tissue obtained (rather it was their lack of clear plan that deterred us). Decided instead to seek additional opinions from doctors known to treat those with wierd brain infections. So we booked a few appointments and have started down that road. In the meantime, my husband underwent some very interesting genomics testing - specificially looking at the genes for his neurotransmitters and detox pathways. Without going into the whole story, we learned that he has strong genetic tendencies to be a poor methylator, poor producer of SOD and is completely missing a couple of common genes for producing glutathione plus other issues as well. Now do these matter? Maybe or maybe not. It seems to me that if you aren't really confronted with much in the way of toxins during your life, you avoid cigarettes, processed foods and adult beverages and you avoid cryptic type infections, which apparently my husband hasn't , - then it probably won't matter. Of course if you live in the modern world and you aren't puritanical, well - it might. As a result of this testing, we have been experimenting with boosting these areas with what I believe is some early success. As I learn and experience more, I will be glad to share this potentially useful information.Also, beginning last month we tried bumping the Doxy to 400mg (200mg bid), plus the Azi 250mg MWF. The doxy appeared to be well tolerated for about 10 days or so but while on trip to see first new doctor my husband developed very sudden loss of left arm and left leg function which persisted for about 10 to 12 days. Walking, balance and strength really declined along with cognitive function. Not only was that new, but also frightening and made the long trip to see the new infection doctor that much more draining. On the trip, we dropped the Doxy back to 200mg and he took some oral steriods for a few days to make it home... in retrospect I think this was a Doxy dose escalation effect because it has mostly resolved and some other minor improvements have resulted.The first stop on our new doctor tour was late last month. The new physician is a lyme literate doctor recommended to us in the Northeast. He has ordered a plethora of tests and we are still awaiting the results of several of them. Curiously, as we learned last night via the first pass of results, yet again my husband is negative on IGA, IGM and IGG for all three specific species of chlamydia and still very positive for the Mycoplasma sp (no specific species tested). Negative for lyme co-infections, negative for brucella sp., etc... the main lyme test with bands has not come back yet. Also, my husband's CD57 was abnormal (low) indicating possible infection. Other tests also still pending.This new doctor, whom we liked and who seemed very knowledgable switched my husband at the end of August from Doxy 200mg QD to Mino 100 BID and told us to start working the Azi dose up. This doctor has been in touch with Dr. Stratton in the past and is very familiar with his research and protocols. Since switching to Mino and taking the Azi 250 MG every day, most of the left side weakness has disappeared. My husband is not quiet as fogged out either as he was on the trip and just last night reported that some music he had just heard on TV suddenly sounds good to him again. Wow - he used to love music and for the past 9 months or so we have been a music free zone.Also, last week, after some research and consideration, we began trying Flagyl pulses in the single high dose format with which others on this site have experimented. Last week on Friday, my husband took 1000 mg of Flagyl in a single dose (Pulse #2) and this week on Friday the same - 1000 mg in a single dose (Pulse # 3). We plan to work the 1000 mg single dose up to 1250 mg, then 1500 mg per dose and then work that up to two high dose pulses per week as tolerated. The first single high dose Flagyl Pulse (#2) was uneventful and if anything I saw some improvement in my husband over the past week. Results from today's single high dose pulse remains to be seen but so far so good. Again, we feel comfortable experimenting with this as my husband is predominantly confined to home, we have no children to see after and we have ready access to steriod rescue if we really need it. My husband's new doctor would also like for us to begin adding Rifampin as tolerated in a dose esclating fashion as well as undergo a work up for possible IV Rocephin therapy. The new doctor is reluctant to use IV Rocephin for most patients but he feels it may be warranted in my husband. We will wait for the remainder of those tests he ordered to arrive before making any further decisions. My husband has a three month MRI next week on Friday so we will wait until after that MRI to do or make any new decisions including add the Rifampin or changing anything else. I guess I started this blog entry by saying that it seems like a lot has happened and yet it also seems as if nothing has really happened. We done a lot of work and are waiting hopefully for something really good in the way of clear improvement to come my husband's way! Rica - knowing that it was 9 months before you saw anything is somewhat reassuring.